Bed and Breakfast, Guest Farm, Self Catering Accommodation near Nieu-Bethesda, Nieu-Bethesda, Eastern Cape
per person per night
* Rates are a guide, subject to change. Please confirm final pricing with establishment.
Call Us On +27 49 841 1302 +27 82 698 0029
Stay at Ganora Guest Farm near Nieu-Bethesda, Eastern Cape for comfortable self catering bed and breakfast guestfarm accommodation and historic excursions.
GIVE US ONE DAY AND GET 280 MILLION YEARS!
Experience true Karoo hospitality on Ganora, a working sheep farm 7km from the world renowned hamlet of Nieu Bethesda, 60 km from Graaff-Reinet, also near Middelburg and Cradock.
Guided tours on the farm are done by ourselves that have a special interest in Anthropology and Palaeontology and like to share what we have discovered at Ganora. The excursions are to Anglo Boer War engravings, rock shelters with Bushman paintings and a visit to a private fossil & artefact museum with specimens dating back some 280 million years are offered on the farm. The Bushman shelters are only 200m walk from where the vehicle stops. A medicinal plant walk can be enjoyed with a local guide that was taught by his grandfather about plants used by Bushman in previous years. He will talk about the lucern lands, lambs or anything they will encounter on the walk too. We will also guide you on a fossil walk in the veld to show how fossils are discovered. Sheep shearing is explained and demonstrated on request. When families or school groups book we adapt the tours to their age and needs.
If you are lucky you will be able to meet our orphan meerkats that have been rehabilitated in the area as we have been a meerkat rehab for more than 20 years.
Comfortable 3 star graded accommodation (the larger rooms offer more than your average 3 star) for self-drives or groups relaxing in the peace and tranquillity of the Great Karoo. Guests may choose between:
- Self catering cottage that sleeps 6. (one queen bed, two single beds and one bunk bed.)
- Standard en-suite rooms with queen or twin beds that have tea and coffee facilities
- Larger en-suite rooms with King or twin beds. These rooms can also become family rooms for small children. These rooms have a few more amenities as well as gowns and slippers.
All the rooms were previously used farm outbuildings and renovated. At first it was used as sheep kraals, chicken rooms etc. Now these rooms, with their thick, uneven stone walls provide very comfortable Highly Recommended accommodation, full of rustic charm.
Meals are available. Karoo cuisine with slow food is always available. After dinner you will have the privilege to enjoy one of the best star gazing opportunities in the country.
For the more adventurous there are various newly marked hiking & cycling trails on the farm to enjoy or climb Compassberg (2502m). We can supply them with an extensive bird list of birds to be found here too. If not too adventurous they can relax at the pool. Furthermore you can explore Nieu-Bethesda, visit the Owl House of Helen Martins, Kitching Fossil Centre, enjoy the coffee & craft shops, taste local brewed beer or take a donkey cart tour. Day trips can be taken to Cradock where you can visit Olive Schreiner’s museum and the Mountain Zebra Park. In Graaff-Reinet you can visit many museums, the Obesa Cactus Garden, enjoy a walk through the town with the most historical buildings or experience the Valley of Desolation.
You will be able to experience the magnificent Karoo sunsets on the farm with or without drinks & snacks.
- Just before entering Nieu-Bethesda from Graaff-Reinet turn right onto the pink brick paved bridge.
- Turn right at the second 4 way stop.
- Into Hudson street.
- Turn left at the third street (Naude Street) with a small sign to Middelburg, Cradock and Nieu-Bethesda station.
- After 5km you will find a turn off to the left which you can ignore.
- 2km further you will find the GANORA GUESTFARM & EXCURSIONS sign on the right-hand side.
- 1km after turning right you will find our homestead.
From the North – Middelburg
- 2km after you see the “Gods Motel” sign on your right-hand side (halfway to Graaff-Reinet on the N9) turn right at the Nieu-Bethesda sign.
- After 20km you will see our sign on the left hand side.
- 1km after turning left you will arrive at our homestead.
- Turn right at the T-junction (towards Middelburg).
- After 600 meters turn left towards Nieu-Bethesda for 20km.
- Turn left at the GANORA signpost and you will find our homestead 1km further on.
Please leave a Review
Contact Ganora Guest Farm & Excursions
Telephone: +27 49 841 1302
Facsimile: +27 86 505 4184
Cell Phone: +27 82 698 0029
Send an Enquiry to Ganora Guest Farm & Excursions
Latitude: -31.854248° S
Longitude: 24.592182° E
Half price for children under 12
No pets allowed
No smoking allowed in rooms
Check In: 14:00
Check Out: 10:00